Thursday 7 January 2021

Melanie's Temperature Quilt - Organizing & Tips

Happy New Year to you all!   

I am looking forward to an amazing 2021.   Cheers! 

 

Full Tutorial here:

Melanie's Temperature Quilt

#melaniestemperaturequilt

#quiltersenjoycolor

 

More good chatter about the Temperature Quilt:

3 months into my project and it is showing progress, while developing a defined colour story.  I took some fantastic photos yesterday on a sunny afternoon with gorgeous white snow in the background.   For the record, the day showed mixed skies with a high of 9C and a low of -6C.  Yes, this is how I am thinking about my days now.  Also, it was windy and chinooking, so I washed sheets and dried them on the line.  I had a great sleep last night under those gorgeous fresh linens. 

 

 
The section of royal blue represents -10C to 0C.  

Notes on phone: 

I set up a task on the notes section of my phone to keep track.  As I make each block I add a check-mark to that day.



Past Weather:

Have you missed some days of recording?  I love waking up to my little scribbly notes from Hubby, but in case we both miss the details of the day I have found this fantastic site for past weather information.  I have relied on it a few times.  Just fill in your own location and it will give you the data that you need.  

 

Organizing:

I had a mess of stuff everywhere and learned quickly that I needed to gain control.  There are a lot of little pieces of fabric going on at once, especially if you are like me doing 10 blocks at a time, with every colour out on the table.  Oh, stop the madness!

I have a little old quilt rack that now has my temperature quilt fabrics on it.  I have bagged my scraps and pattern in a clear ziploc and it hangs on this rack as well.  Everything is easily accessible and much more manageable. 




 

Cutting Sky Pieces to eliminate waste: 

If you cut your WOF strips for the sky 3 1/2" wide (instead of 3" as stated in the pattern) you can get 2 sky pieces out of each 3 1/2" x 5 1/2" sky piece.  After cutting your angle you can use the top and the bottom of this piece.  This is an option if you have a fabric that is not directional.   My mixed sky fabric does not work with this method, but I have found it very useful for the sunny and cloudy sky pieces.     

Full Tutorial for the Temperature Quilt here: 

Melanie's Temperature Quilt

#melaniestemperaturequilt

This content is provided free to you with lovely sponsorship and affiliate ads.  

Please kindly take a peek at the sidebar for quilty connections.   

No comments:

Post a Comment