Tuesday 14 February 2017

Canadian Heart - Part 2 - Putting It Altogether






Begin this quilt by making 16 IMPROVISE HEART BLOCKS

For Part 1 - Layout and Cutting CLICK HERE 



Now to sew it together...


The layout. 





When you are working with a diagonal setting you will 
sew your quilt top together in the diagonal rows. 


Work on half of your quilt at a time. 


 Sew the middle seam together last.  



Notice the room around the edges for border or binding because of the larger setting triangles.  This is a good method for a modern quilt when you want to bind this edge. 





 Happy 150th Canada!




 The completed quilt top is 50" x 82". 








Trouble Shooting 

I ran into this little snag when piecing my quilt together.  I was just going along, minding my own business, when I spotted inconvenient dog ears!  Oh dang.

I needed to do a bit of un-sewing to be able to put my sashing rows on properly.   

Of course, not sewing these points down to begin with is the best alternative :)
But, if you are like me and stuff happens, here is the solution.

In the top-centre of the photo below notice how the top left point of the triangle is in the way for the sashing row to be sewn on.

 Close-up

Undo this point about 1", sew your sashing in place, then sew this point back down.  



Begin this quilt by making 16 IMPROVISE HEART BLOCKS

For Part 1 - Layout and Cutting CLICK HERE 




No comments:

Post a Comment