Wednesday 24 September 2014

Squaring Up Quilt Blocks (Even If You Know How)

 


I am working on a new quilt and have gotten to the "squaring up" stage.  This is a good block to demonstrate a few tips on.  It will be trimmed to 11 1/2", sewn to 11" with a 1/4" seam allowance.  

Tip #1:

Using painters tape, tape the corner and edges of your block size on your square ruler.  I am using a 15" Square Ruler and it has many, many lines.  Taping off the size allows me to line up my block at a quick glance.  Painters tape can easily be removed from your ruler without leaving residue.

+AP16



Tip #2:

Turn your block to the diagonal before lining up your ruler.

On a block such as this Tavern Puzzle, it is important to line up the diagonal ruler line as well as the corners.  Place the diagonal line on your block first, then line up the corners.  

Turning your block to the diagonal position now allows you to cut 2 sides of the block at once.

+AP16
Tip #3:

After your first side is cut, flip the block and simply line up the cut edges of your block to the green tape marks.  This is so efficient.  Now trim the remaining 2 sides of your block in one motion. 

Ta da!  I hope this is time saving for you on your next quilt top.

 I am happy to share all information, images and tutorials from this blog, 
with links and credit given to Quilters…Enjoy Color!   
The contents on this blog are the property of Melanie Rudy at Quilters…Enjoy Color!    
Email:  quiltersenjoycolor@gmail.com


+AP16


Here is another helpful tutorial:




 


 



10 comments:

  1. Really good to know these rules, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. Just what I was looking for

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I found this. I'd been having a problem squaring up my blocks. Using a 12 1/2" square up ruler, but my blocks weren't even. I wasn't squaring up right. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there an easy way to square up oof you don’t have a block ruler, or at least not one that’s big enough?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purchase a large square ruler - I used to fuss with squaring on my mat (which is not as accurate) and was so incredibly happy when I bought my largest square ruler. The proper tools are important to great quilting.

      Delete